Melanin Magic: Skincare Tips for Skin Drenched in Color
While we all know that skin comes in the fairest of fair to rich, beautiful, dark hues and everything in between, there is no denying that there often is an art to caring for melanated, or darker skin with more pigmentation. We’d love to share some tips!
3 SOLUTIONS TO KEEP YOUR SKIN MELANIN MAGICAL THIS SUMMER!
1. KICK HYPERPIGMENTATION TO THE CURB
Understanding Hyperpigmentation And How to Care For It
First, understand why hyperpigmentation occurs. Hyperpigmentation is a term frequently used for any type of visible dark discoloration on the skin and is often the most common beauty complaint for women with darker skin tones.
It usually occurs following an injury or inflammation (breakouts, excess sun exposure, ingrown hairs, allergic reactions, or picking at your skin) which results in the skin's overproduction of melanin. Darker skin can also be prone to having a higher sensitivity response to inflammation making hyperpigmentation more challenging to treat as the marks usually have a higher level of pigment, and thus take longer to fade.
What can you do? When it comes to treating hyperpigmentation, the phrase "It takes a village" comes to mind. No one miracle product that can effectively fade all of your dark spots. Instead, it often requires a multi-pronged approach, which involves protecting the skin from environmental exposure in tandem with treatments to even the skin tones and reduce any excess melanin production.
What's an ideal regimen to treat hyperpigmentation?
Start with Veg Out Organics Glow Bright Cleanser:
- Gently cleanses and soothes the skin with organic aloe vera and natural fruit enzymes.
- Contains castor oil, which is packed with powerful omega-3 fatty acids, vital to reducing hyperpigmentation. They do this by piercing the scar tissue and pumping it out.
- Licorice extract is great for diminishing hyperpigmentation with anti-inflammatory properties as well. Licorice contains glabridin, that inhibits tyrosinase which is an enzyme building block for dark spots.
- Grapeseed Oil, an antioxidant with proanthocyanidin evens out skin tone and also protects the skin from the absorption the full damage of UV rays.
- Veg Out Pharm full flower organic phytocannabinoids (CBD) bring balance to the skin from the inside out while also calming any irritations and reducing inflammation.
- Vitamin C is vital for cell turnover and reversal of photodamage to the skin, and combined with Vitamin E can regulate the production and dispersal of melanocytes, the pigment particles that are at the root of the problem.
2. PROTECT & REPAIR YOUR SKIN FROM SUN DAMAGE & ENVIRONMENTAL EXPOSURE
Tips for Our Sun Soaking Beauties
We can’t stress enough the most important step to your skin routine: SUNSCREEN. There is a common misconception that dark skin tones don’t have a need for SPF. Wrong! Some sunscreens have been targeted as harmful when washed off into our oceans and with some of the ingredients, into our own bodies. Nature's sunscreens: microalgae and zinc oxide are both key ingredients in our Veg Out Organics Skin Perfect Moisturizer, designed to avert photo-damage brought on by the sun’s rays while maintaining protective moisture. Zinc oxide has been suggested specifically as ideal for people with more hued skin-tones to protect against both UVA and UVB rays without harsh chemicals.
- Veg Out Organics Skin Perfect Moisturizer contains zinc oxide, a natural UV and UVB protectant, built right into your daily routine.
- Microalgae can protect the skin against UVB-induced photoaging and damage by its UV absorbing capacity.
- Contains shea butter which is great for higher concentrated melanin skin, with a high volume of vitamins E, A and other natural fatty acids and anti-inflammatory properties to soothe and heal skin.
- Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant for discoloration, fighting free radicals, and evening skin tones for a healthier skin barrier.
- Full flower CBG is added to our moisturizer, an emerging new phytocannabinoid that's currently being studied as the "mother cannabinoid" with amazing anti-inflammatory and healing properties for the skln--to create a balance and glow from the inside out!
VITAMIN C+ SERUM used in concert (after cleansing and before moisturizer) is your magic duo for perfectly glowing skin this summer, and any time, but especially in the hot dry summer months when photo damage concerns may appear more visible. You'll want to show off your confident skin with or without makeup. Give it a week, and you'll be giving us a call! 22% ascorbic acid (vitamin C) combined with tremella mushroom extract and full flower phytocannabinoid (CBD) will maintain gorgeous melanin-rich skin tone and work with your body to balance your natural skin tone while protecting the skin barrier.
3. WHAT'S GOOD? DEFINITELY NOT DRY SKIN!
Say "yes" to glowing sun-kissed skin!Summertime, bikinis, your favorite skirt or shorts, and oh yeah, dry skin from the intense heat. Well, we say no. Let's hit the brunch, the bay, the basketball game or just the living room, but in soft, moisturized skin with a healthy glow.
Veg Out Organics Magnesium Body Lotion gives you not only glowing skin with extravagant shea butters and mango, vitamin E, but also a daily dose of good-for-you magnesium in every use. Full flower CBD offers anti-inflammatory properties and skin calming to reveal your skin's natural glow, from your shoulders to your feet.
Veg Out Organics Chill Mode Massage & Body Oil can be used from head to toe! It's non-comedogenic formula can also be used on the face and won't clog the pores at all. Because it's so rich in skin-soothing oils like neroli, sunflower seed, almond and lavender--combined with full flower CBD for the entourage effect, this lotion is a home run for a reset of body and mind and an escape into bliss any time you need it. The sidebar is that it's also great for darker skin tones and bring out the gorgeous balanced tones from shoulders to flip flops.
Veg Out Organics beautifully handcrafted, all-natural vegan skin care line is the perfect complement to your melanated beauty routine. It includes an abundance of ingredients crucial to helping protect your skin and combatting hyperpigmentation. Check out our full line here.