Ready, Set, GLOW! Your Sunny, Summer Skin Care Guide.
Why do I need a new skincare routine for summer?
Summer is officially here and for many of us, that means an abundance of outdoor activities and sunshine during the coming months.
During warmer weather, your skin complexion can change from normal to oily, leaving you prone to developing breakouts. Higher temperatures prompt the skin to secrete more oil which can leave it looking shiny. Oily skin also doesn’t blend well with makeup and can tend to give you that ‘melting’ look, and that isn’t fun for anyone. The extra oil can also lead to blemishes, often appearing in areas that are most prone to exposure, such as, you guessed it, your face!
Aside from the dreaded makeup melt and blemish city, there are also some serious risk factors involved with prolonged sun exposure such as dull weathered skin, discoloration, dry skin, age spots and skin cancer. To protect your skin from the changing weather, it’s really important to adjust your skincare routine to incorporate the right type of products for the right season.
So, what should my summer skincare routine look like?
If you're wondering how you should change things up this summer, here's a simple step-by-step guide below.
- Cleanse: Start off your morning with a gentle cleanser, like our Glow Bright Cleanser, that's ideal for all skin types. Now your skin is prepped for the rest of your regimen, not to mention the refreshing smell of pineapple and lemongrass will be sure to give you a summer morning boost!
- Vitamin C: Now, it's time to add some Vitamin C Serum into your summer routine. UV rays cause up to 90% of photo-aging that happens to our skin and topical antioxidants, like Vitamin C add an extra layer of protection to help prevent and treat unwanted pigmentation that can show up in those hot summer months.
- Moisturizer + an SPF: Veg Out Organics Skin Perfect Moisturizer is packed with essential oils, plant-based nutrients, and cucumber for a supple glow like fresh morning dew! It also contains zinc oxide, a natural sun protectant, and microalgae, which has been shown to protect the skin against UVB-induced photoaging and damage due to its antioxidant properties and ability to absorb UV rays naturally. Pretty cool huh? And let's not forget that all Veg Out Organics skin care is based in organic aloe vera juice, which if you've ever had a sunburn and were told to find some aloe vera, then you know that aloe vera has amazing skin-soothing and hydrating properties. The moisturizer also seals in the Vitamin C and protects and hydrates the skin following your serum application. Now you're ready to face the day!
- Cleanse: Time to wash the day off! It’s super important to wash your face at the end of a long day, especially in the summer heat when you've been perspiring and your skin may be producing more oil. With the surplus of sweat and dirt collected throughout the day, we want to make sure to take extra care of our skin in the evenings before bed, while still keeping our routine an easy peasy summer breeze. The witch hazel in our Glow Bright Cleanser will give you a full, fresh clean and the added chamomile will have you feeling fresh and relaxed almost immediately. Isn't it funny how the same ingredients can have different effects depending upon the time of day, and your headspace?
- Exfoliate: As mentioned above, when you're sweating more during the summer days and the skin is secreting more oil, dirt and pollutants have a perfect place to hang out. This can definitely clog the pores and lead to unwanted breakouts. Using our Enzymatic Exfoliator a couple times a week (or more or less, depending upon your skin type) for a really nice deep clean to wash away impurities and gently revive the outer layer of your dermis with a renewed summer canvas. It’s best to use an exfoliator very gently, and preferably at night so that your face can recover from any irritation or redness. This will give you the time you need until you're ready to flaunt that new summer glow in the sunshine!
- Once exfoliated, your skin is prime for steps two and three again of your morning routine. You always want to add active ingredients that "do the work" like Vitamin C serum with Tremella Mushroom extract before your moisturizer and always to clean skin. After an exfoliant your skin will really drink it in and be prepped for some awesome beauty sleep. Follow your serum with the moisturizer to seal it in and prepare your skin for a night of repair and rest. Overnight your skin will be renewed and refreshed and ready to eagerly absorb your morning routine again before battling the summer heat once again.
- Eyes: You'll want to slather on your favorite eye cream before bed, so you can wake up to bright, refreshed peepers in the morning! Tired eyes can ruin your summer style. You can’t go wrong with Veg Out Organics Eye Repair Complex.™ It contains an all-natural assortment of powerful antioxidants to soothe your delicate skin around the eyes and diminish fine lines and signs of aging. Remember, the sun can really wreak havoc on our extremely thin eye skin, so keeping them moisturized with healthy, lasting and hydrating ingredients is a key part of your summer skincare regimen. Don't forget the peepers!
- Mask It Up: Last, but certainly not least, let's not forget to pamper ourselves. At least once a week (if not more) pack on our Essential Mask, jammed with all the essentials needed to brighten, hydrate and renew the With the sun and elements really throwing punches at our skin daily, it’s safe to say our skin could use the pick me up!
Protect the skin that's protecting you!
You've heard it before and the rumors are true. Sunscreen in a non-negotiable no matter what time of year it is. Start with a lotion or cream base for your SPF as the last step in your morning skin care routine, then there are creative ways, such as powders, sticks and sprays, to reapply your sunscreen throughout the day, which you should be doing every couple of hours
Whichever method you choose, just remember sunscreen is essential, even on a cloudy, overcast day.
Don’t forget, this is all in vain if you don’t hydrate skin from the inside out.
It's no secret that proper water consumption is essential when temperatures rise. Water keeps the body hydrated and supports a healthy skin barrier.
So, sip - sip - sip that water and indulge on those juicy slices of seasonal watermelon to make sure you’re doing a summer body good!
Okay my summer lovelies, I've given you what need to fly. Now, ready, set, GLOW!